Part-time Communications Intern: Video Production (UNPAID)
Outreach & Communications Department
Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with video production skills to assist the Forest Society’s communication department in creation of short videos that highlight compelling programs and strategic conservation projects. This is an unpaid internship; however, the selected intern will gain authentic experience working in communications at an environmental non-profit. The position is part time (15-30 hrs/wk) with occasional work on weekends or evenings. The intern will be working primarily in both indoor and outdoor settings. Outdoor work may occur in various weather and environmental conditions (heat, humidity, direct sunlight, biting insects).
Responsibilities (may include some or all of the following)
- Attend Forest Society events (volunteer workdays, field trips, fundraisers, etc) to collect video and still footage using digital SLR camera and/or mobile/handheld devices.
- Visit Forest Society reservations to collect video and still media. Interview Forest Society staff, members, donors, volunteers, easement holders on camera to collect media content as necessary.
- Develop outlines for telling engaging stories and getting specific information across to online audiences using video. Edit collected media content using software programs to produce short videos that can be shared on the Forest Society’s website and social media.
- Post finished videos and photos to website and social media outlets, as appropriate.
- Write blog posts for website about projects, events and share posts on social media.
- Provide staff support for planning, advertising, implementing, and documenting field trips, projects, and other events.
- Other outreach and communications duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Have completed at least two years of a university/college degree program.
- Strong interest in communications, marketing and outreach, as well as in conservation and forestry. Educational background in either sector is a plus.
- Experience with the creation and editing of videos from scratch, using low-cost cameras and video editing software
- Ability to work independently on self-directed projects.
- Familiar and comfortable with technology, including windows/Microsoft Office suite, website/blog editing, mobile technologies and applications, and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc).
- Creative thinker with a sense of humor
- Physically able to move through forested landscapes over varied terrain and in challenging environmental conditions (weather, bugs)
- Access to reliable vehicle for transportation, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
This is an unpaid internship.
Please send a cover letter, resume, references and samples of videos you have made to Brenda Charpentier at email@example.com
Brenda Charpentier, Communications Manager
Society for the Protection of NH Forests
No phone calls, please.
The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or physical or mental disabilities.
For more information about the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests, go to www.forestsociety.org.