Natural Resources

Are Forest Society Reservations permanently protected from development?

Yes, they are.  Nearly all of our reservations are “permanent’ reservations, meaning that we intend to own and manage them in perpetuity, and to steward their natural resource assets through wise use and sustainable practices.  In those rae instances when we divest ourselves of a property we usually convey the property with deed restrictions or with a conservation easement that ensures the lasting protection of the land. 

Why do you cut trees if you are the Society for the Protection of NH Forests?

Our Mission Statement says "The Society is a forestry association seeking to perpetuate the forests of New Hampshire through their wise use and their complete reservation in places of special scenic beauty."  We understand 'wise use' to mean managing all the resources of the forest for ecological, economic, and societal benefits.  Our forest management is science- based, sustainable, and helps supports local, regional, and international forest product markets. For more on our Forest Management program visit our Forestry page on this web site.   

What does sustainable forest management mean?

Sustainable management is ensuring that at no time will the amount of wood volume harvested exceed the amount of new wood being added to the forest every year.  That means we are always growing more than we are cutting and so we will never run out of wood or forest.   

I have the need for a forester. Who would you recommend?

The Forest Society doesn't make recommendations on who you should employ. Instead, we would prefer you visit with the UNH Cooperative Extention Forestry Educator (County Forester) active in your county.  For a list of County Foresters, visit this page on the UNH Cooperative Extension website.

Someone is harvesting in the woods near me and I think there are problems what can you do about it?

Timber harvesting is regulated by the State of New Hampshire.  If you think there are issues with an operation you can call one of the Division of Forests and Lands Forest Rangers.  Numbers for the Forest Rangers are available on line at the Division of Forests and Lands, just follow this link.  

I think I've found an Emerald Ash Borer on one of my trees, what should I do?

If you think you have found an invasive insect on one of your trees visit and use their easy system for recognizing the pest and for reporting it.  

Where can I find your visitor use guidelines?